Sunday, February 15, 2009

Oostende, Belgium

For Valentine's Day this year, Christian and I decided the best way to spend it was by taking a road trip to the North Sea, not something you do everyday! Neither of us have ever been to the North Sea, so we headed out to Oostende, a popular little beach and shipping town that's located about an hour and a half north of Brussels.The coast line was a beautiful site to see, of course the weather helped because the sun was out for the first time in weeks, what a break. We walked up the pier to check out the sites and while there a large ship (presumably a car carrier or ferry from the UK) came into port. Despite it being a bit on the brisk side, there were so many people out walking along the beach to enjoy the day. You can only imagine how many people are here during the warm summer months.
Just to say we'd done it, we forced ourselves to run up to the water and put our hands in to say we've been in the North Sea. Word can't express just how cold the water was. There's cold...and then there's North Sea cold.
Since it was Valentine's day, Christian made the best gift ever. (Christian: I forgot a card so this was the next best thing)

Isn't he just the best!

We then set out to explore the rest of the town to see what was to offer. We did find a store that we thought Mum would enjoy! Hope you all had a good weekend. Enjoy the rest of the week!

Love, Meg & Christian

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For Mum- Sells clothes? but no Jack Russells?
You guys are finding such exciting places on your adventure!
Mom Audeen

Anonymous said...

Your trip to Ostend brought back a flood of memories for me...It was my 1st trip "overseas" when I lived in England...and yes, I did swim in the North Sea and survived. I guess it's a case of being happy with what you got....when you are surrounded by either the North Sea, Irish Sea and English Channel- options are limited, and where there's a beach, one has to swim!!!! However, not in February - my trip was in August and I was only 18 yrs......Long, long time ago!!! I still remember though, so Christian I"m still not ready for Shady Acres!!!! Love you both

MUM