We decided one morning to drive into Pisa before heading into Florence. We arrived in Pisa and figured we would be able to see the leaning tower with no problem...wrong. We drove around in circles until we decided to park the car and go by foot. All was going well until it started to rain, it made finding the tower that more difficult, but at last we turned a corner and there it was. The Leaning Tower of Pisa. We stared at it for about 5 minutes, took a couple pictures, at lunch and off we went. Not much more to see there.
Next, onto Florence. Our first stop in Florence was to the Florence American Cemetery of WWII. I had never heard of this place, but my dad asked me to stop by the funeral home and get a picture of my Great Uncle Eddie's Grave (who my dad is named after). He fought in WWII and was killed in action in Italy in November 1944. So I emailed the cemetery, told them we were coming and ordered some flowers. We drove up to the cemetery and three men were awaiting our arrival. They gave us information about the cemetery, information about my great uncle and then toured us through the cemetery. What a site to see! Probably one of the most amazing things we have ever seen; Christian says it was the highlight of the trip. If you ever make it to Florence, I would highly suggest stopping by...you will not be disappointed.

Next into the city center we go. The first stop was the Duomo...beautiful church.
We stand in line to go into the church to look around; Christian buys tickets and the next thing I know I'm climbing up stair, after stair, after stair. We didn't know it but the line was to go all the way up to the top of the Duomo to see the city, 463 steps up. I made it 263 steps and had to call it quits...poor baby was getting tossed around. Christian being the good husband that he is, started back down the stairs to the bottom so I wouldn't have to go alone. Kristen & Domenic ventured on all the way to the top. Way to go guys!

Next, onto Florence. Our first stop in Florence was to the Florence American Cemetery of WWII. I had never heard of this place, but my dad asked me to stop by the funeral home and get a picture of my Great Uncle Eddie's Grave (who my dad is named after). He fought in WWII and was killed in action in Italy in November 1944. So I emailed the cemetery, told them we were coming and ordered some flowers. We drove up to the cemetery and three men were awaiting our arrival. They gave us information about the cemetery, information about my great uncle and then toured us through the cemetery. What a site to see! Probably one of the most amazing things we have ever seen; Christian says it was the highlight of the trip. If you ever make it to Florence, I would highly suggest stopping by...you will not be disappointed.

Next into the city center we go. The first stop was the Duomo...beautiful church.
We stand in line to go into the church to look around; Christian buys tickets and the next thing I know I'm climbing up stair, after stair, after stair. We didn't know it but the line was to go all the way up to the top of the Duomo to see the city, 463 steps up. I made it 263 steps and had to call it quits...poor baby was getting tossed around. Christian being the good husband that he is, started back down the stairs to the bottom so I wouldn't have to go alone. Kristen & Domenic ventured on all the way to the top. Way to go guys!Lunch was next on the list for things to do. We went to a restaurant that was recommended by our hotel and it was the best, best, best Italian meal that any of us have ever had in our lives! We will never forget our waiter and the food. We love you restaurant!

Yes, I still have one more city to write about!

1 comment:
Uhhh. Dude! Where are the pics of Maranello???
Did you not visit the home of the Scuderia???
Post a Comment