Monday, August 18, 2008

The Flower Carpet

I have to say...I've learned that as a married man you tend to do things you really dont want to do - but you do them because your wife tells you to. Now that might not seem like anything particularly strange, but here's the key difference. Not only do I have to actively participate in such endeavors...I have to act like I'm enjoying it...which is sometimes a wee bit more difficult!

On friday, Meg thought it would be a good idea to go down to the Grand Place to see...wait for it...flowers. Earlier in the week Meg and her mom caught the "carnie's" setting up the big display which was huge, about 3/4 of a football field in length and width.




Meg wanted to see the finished product for her mom, my mum, several friends (all of which watch Oprah everyday), her sister and other sappy friends. In actuality, the site was pretty impressive. What was most remarkable was the legions of paparazzi that fought tooth and nail to get as close to the fenceline as possible to take some pictures. After slaying the photo bandits, Meg and I finally had our moment in the sun and took a picture in front of what amounts to a large carpet...but an impressive one nonetheless. Apparently Belgium has amazing Bogonias hence their inclusion in the display.



Lastly, seeing the "carpet" made me think about other cities in the world that might have a reason to do something similar. For instance, would Beijing have a carpet full of dead cats? What about London? A carpet with tea and crumpettes? Or what about Toronto? A carpet full of donuts, beer, maple syrup and overpayed, underacheiving, lazy hockey players.
Ummm...something to think about
C&M



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is very cool! However, what would Detroit's be? A bunch of dead people that have been shot? Maybe handcuffs and jail suits to represent our mayor? Hmmmm....
Dimmer
XOXO